Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Qwiki

...Qwiki - rich, multimedia narrative search results...a hint of things to come...

Qwiki is a Flipboard-meets-Wikipedia “search engine”. A Qwiki search pulls up a Wikipedia-like page with a "rich media narrative" of videos, photos, and audio clips relating to the topic. Users can contribute content to a Qwiki entry or embed them on another site or share them via a social network. Presented as an interactive video, Qwikis are created on the fly from web sources.

Bankrolled by one of the founders of Facebook, Qwiki’s ultimate success will be based on how much information it can collect/encompass. The site is visually attractive and the on-the-fly audio and visual presentations hints of things to come.

As an alpha user, they send me an interesting topical link each day. And as soon as I stop with this blog stuff I'm going to add some photos of Berlin including one particular image I took at the Hauptbahnhof in January 2010 of a very large poster hanging in the station commemorating the what I believe is the 20th anniversary of the Solidarity-led Polish revolution (1989) (photo also post here). You may have to be "of a certain age" to immediately get the meaning of it -I am of that age, and as I stopped to look at it (actually it stopped me, I was on my way to some place for a meeting)it took me a while to understand - it's very creative - . This post certainly became tangential to its original purpose.

No comments: